Monday, October 15, 2012

For Adam, On His Birthday

I write things for people all the time
Monologues to perform
Monologues for auditions
Monologues for myself

But up until now
I haven't ever written anything
With someone's name
Right in the title

But if ever anybody deserved one
And much, much more
Than just a measly monologue
It would be Adam

Normally I write characters
Situations, stereotypes
Witty third-graders
Evil villains
Loud mothers
People I've never met
But who I feel I know
And in some cases, even care about

But never in my life
Have I met anybody
Who was so good
I couldn't even write them

That I couldn't even capture
In a monologue
In a play
With words
With all the words I can think of
I can't think of any
That can accurately describe Adam

Human jackpot
That's the closest I can get

Because I know how much he loves Disney
I'll say this:

Meeting Adam was like when the kids in Mary Poppins
Write down what they want in a nanny
And send it up the chimney
And bam!--perfect nanny

I thought of everything I could want in a guy
And he was delivered
Sassy talking umbrella and all

Everyone who knows him
Knows he's kind, loving, compassionate
I'm actually late to the party
When it comes to all that

If anything, I find myself wishing
I'd known him forever
Even though it feels like I have

What I find most astonishing
Is that I've actually found someone
Who not only puts up with me
But accepts me for exactly who I am

Adam, you make me the person
I've always wanted to be

You're the first person I've ever met
Who I'm really sure of

I'd say here's to another thirty-two years
But truthfully
I want a million
As long as they're all with you

I love you
And Happy Birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment