Thursday, October 11, 2012

Mosie Freelander, Mick Jagger, and the Shot Heard Round the World

So I'm there with Mick
At the Lou de Doo
This insane club in Detroit
That was only open for two hours

No club has ever been that good
And no club ever will be
And the fact that it was open from 2am to 4am
On a Wednesday morning in 1972
Only proves how amazing it was

I met Mick on the dance floor
Right underneath the meat hooks
And right away
We connected in a way
That nobody but the Dalai Lama could understand
Well, the Dalai Lama and half of Creedence Clearwater Revival

At around two thirty, when the place had been open for half an hour
And I'd been there for five minutes
Mick was like--'Do you want to get out of here?
I'm bored by this cesspool'
And you know what?
I had just said the same thing to myself
Two minutes earlier

Mick took me to the only hotel any rock 'n roll god really needs:

The streets

We danced around, got mugged twice
And had a little fun on a fire escape
While he worked out new lyrics
To this song he was working on
And never ended up releasing
Called 'Baby's Gotta Touch Me'

The next thing I know
I'm on a train headed to London

I don't know what train goes from Detroit to London
But hey, it was the 70's
It was a time full of magic
And flexible geography

So Mick and I were on the train
And Mick is saying to me--

'I'm going solo'

And he's crying
And sniveling
Snot going everywhere
In all that gorgeous hair

And I'm in shock
I mean, Jagger's just confessed to me
That he's breaking up the band
And what can I do
Besides suggest
That he let me open for them a few times first
Because my music, during those years
Had been known to bridge gaps and calm turmoil

It was the shot heard round the world
But then after I was done making love to Mick in the caboose
--Of the train, of the train

He said, 'You know what, Mosie Freelander?
I can't break up the Stones.
I mean, would a girl like you have ever gotten with Mick Jagger
If he weren't Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones?'

And I didn't say anything
But in my head I was thinking--

Wait--you're not in Jefferson Airplane?

It was a very confusing time

No comments:

Post a Comment