Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Things I Didn't Hear

I didn't hear her crying
Or I would have done something
I wouldn't have just sat there
Watching tv, twiddling my thumbs
Ignoring her, that's--

She's my kid
I'm not going to hear her crying
And just ignore her
I'm not a monster
For god sakes

But Jack and I had been fighting all day
And I had this splitting headache
So I'm sitting there watching tv
Trying to just calm myself down
Because he'd been going out every night
Doing who-knows-what
And I'm not supposed to say anything
Because Terri down the block
Doesn't say anything when her husband goes out

Well, I'm not Terri
Is what I said to him
I'm not her, and she's not me
And I don't want my husband out
At all hours of the night
Doing whatever
And we got into this big fight
And he takes off, like always

So I'm sitting there with an ice pack on my head
Watching Jeopardy, trying to relax, like I said
And the tv's pretty loud
But Becky, you know, she sleeps through the night
She's good like that
That kid was never any trouble
Not for a second

So I don't expect that she's going to be crying
Or in trouble, or whatever
Why should I think that?
I got a lousy husband
But a good kid
I didn't worry about Becky, never did

So when Jack got home at whatever time Jack got home at
And our daughter wasn't in her room
I was shocked, like 'what do you mean she's not in her room?'
But then once we knew she was gone
I felt like sayin--

'Well, maybe if you'd been home protecting your family
Instead of out all night
You'd have heard something
Because I fell asleep right there in front of the tv'

I didn't hear a window opening
Or a door slamming
Or Becky crying or anything like that

But I'll tell you something
And I told Jack this too
And whoever else wanted to listen
Because I got nothing to hide--

I don't know if I could raise a little girl
With a man who stays out all night anyway
You know what I mean?

So in a way, maybe it's a blessing

Maybe the whole damn thing
Is one big blessing in disguise

No comments:

Post a Comment