Friday, April 9, 2010

Mara in the Park

When I have this baby
He's going to play right by those roses
On that little patch of grass
With a little dog
We're going to name Chow Mein

I'm going to watch sunlight
Dribble onto his face
And down his chin
And he's going to grin at me
Like his father did

I'm going to take him to the slide
And have him fall down it
Feet first
Right into his mom

I can't imagine anything better
Than having your son
Come plummeting into your arms
Knowing you're going to catch him

I'm going to sit on a blanket
And hold a book with one hand
While I stroke his hair with another

He'll be asleep before we've been here an hour

Pop can take him sometimes
And teach him to play chess
At the stone tables

Ma can take him sometimes
And worry the whole time
That he's going to get kidnapped

But when he comes here with me
We're just going to watch the people go by

I want him to see people
Every day of his life
And know what people are
What 'people' means

And people in the park
Are the best kind of people
They're happy people
That's who this baby's going to see
For as long as he's with me

Happy people
In the park

No comments:

Post a Comment