Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sierra and the Stars

That one's called Asarus
It was named after an Arabian princess
Who traveled so far from her home
That she found herself at the edge of the world
Crying tears into the great abyss

She cried and cried
Until the abyss filled up with tears
And then she made a boat out of her dress
And sailed across the abyss
To the other end of the world
Where her home was

And that was how Asarus learned the value
Of moving forward
And remembering
That everything is cyclical

And so, they say, if you keep Asarus above you
And continue to move forward
She will bless your journey

. . . . .

Not a bad bit of bullshit, huh?

Wine makes for good storytellers

Do you have any star stories, Ryan?

The wonderful thing about the stars
Is that there are so many of them
You'll never run out of stories to make up about them
And nobody can tell you that your stories are made up either
Because who knows, you know?

I can't see the stars where I live

It makes me uncomfortable
I feel like I can get lost a lot easier now

When you grow up in the Midwest
You know the importance of stars
Of things above you
Looking down on you
Casting a shield above your head
To protect you from falling objects
And solar waves

When you live in the city
The stars are still up there
But you forget
And so you do things
Forgetting that you're being watched

That you're disappointing cosmic beings
That have watched you
Since you were a kid

You become unwatched

It's...

...not pleasant

...at all really

. . . . .

Do you want to make love to me?

On this blanket
Under these stars
Sanctioning our activity
Liking our status
Believing in our transgressions

I need to feel connected to the night around me
I feel like time is going by
And I'm grabbing at it
But I'm not catching it
Not because it's not possible to catch
But because I don't have anything to catch it with

A physical interaction with you
A connection between two people
That is undeniable
Would give me a marker
And that's what I need

A way to stamp time
Stamp it down
And say this--

This place
This moment
This time

I did something here

I did something today

I participated in the Universe today

I didn't just wish on a star
Then took a nap
Waiting to see what would happen

I was somebody

Do you understand that?
Does that make sense?

. . . . .

See that star?

It's named after me
It's called Sierra

The star named after the land
After the Earth

Sierra

The story is that a girl was so tied down
That she eventually became the Earth
And other people walked on here
And trod their paths on her
And thanked her for supporting them
But she never lived a real life

Until one day a man spread out a red and white blanket
On top of a hill
And popped open a bottle of wine
Underneath the stars
And made love to that girl

And she went up
Up and up and up

And she took her place
In the sky

No comments:

Post a Comment