Friday, April 2, 2010

My College Degree

That's my college degree on the wall

You might look at it and see four years of accomplishment
My parents look at it and see four years of tuition
My friends look at it and see a battle trophy
Much like the ones they have hanging on their walls

Would you like to know
What I see
When I look at it?

I see three different majors
In two years

I see the dorms
The dorms
The dorms

I see Friday night poker tournaments
I see Saturday night fraternity parties
I see Sunday afternoon silence

Don't think you can see silence?

Sit around a dorm
On a Sunday afternoon

Trust me
You can see
The silence

I see the Pysch majors that you DO NOT date
I see the Theater majors that you DO NOT date
I see the Creative Writing majors who will put you in their stories
After barely changing your name
And describing in detail
How bad you are in bed

I see the tests I didn't study for
I see the grades that could have been better
I see the textbooks that look as pristine
As the day they were printed

And I see photos of my friends
The people who share my battle scars
And I look at that degree

And I know

I may not have earned it
But I lived it

And maybe that's better
Maybe that's my education

No comments:

Post a Comment