Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Rashad, Lawyer, 24

Hi, I'm Rashad

I'll be representing you today

Now, let's get something straight

You're guilty
And I don't care

I'm not here to save anybody

I didn't spend two raised ranch mortgages
To become Robin Hood
At the Round Table

I'm here to make bank
Get on Larry King
And upgrade my flight home

And you don't get any of that
By defending the innocent

You're guilty
You shot the guy
We're moving on

Now, at what point did they accuse you of being a terrorist?

. . . . .

Oh, come on, Nick

You want to get out of this, don't you?

Well, guess what?

When you shoot a guy in a mall food court
In front of over a hundred witnesses
You ain't gettin' away with shit, kitten

Luckily for you

You're Middle Eastern

Okay, fine, you're Italian
But you look Middle Eastern
And I'm Middle Eastern

And we're living in a liberal state
That feels guilty
For persecuting innocent dark-skinned people
Post-post 9/11

And that, my friend
Is your ticket out

So let me ask you again
At what point did they accuse you of being a terrorist?

Because if they didn't
You're going to jail

If this is about whether or not you shot someone
Then you're going to jail

If this is all going to boil down
To whether or not
You got mad because you found out
Some guy was banging your wife
And you went to the mall
And blew him down
In front of a Taco Bell

Then, baby, you're going to fry

But if this is about bias
And racism
And prejudice
And one hundred witnesses
Still in terror over what happened that fateful day in September
A day when MANY lives were ruined
For MANY different reasons
Including an entire culture being branded as murderous
Causing people to VIEW people of that culture
In a VIOLENT way
Then you'll be home free

Did you notice how I was using keywords there, pal?
Did you pick up on that?

Look, they brought me in
Because I'm a minority who defends minorities
Better than anybody in this country

I make Johnny Cochran
May he rest in peace
Look like a fucking joke

So you tell me
Do you think you've been treated unfairly
Or are you just another good old American
Ready to get shoved in a chair
And lit up like Vegas?

. . . . .

I thought so

And tell me--

At what point did one of the policemen tell you
That he had a brother who died in Iraq?

No comments:

Post a Comment