Friday, April 30, 2010

Steve, 32, Trumpet Player

I can breathe purple smoke
I can exhale
Inhale
Take in
Breathe out
Purple smoke clouds
That encircle the small tables
With just enough room
For a candle
And a glass
Of something

I've kissed girls at those tiny tables
And they say, 'Steve, you're so good'
And they might be right
Because I can play the trumpet
And kiss a girl two minutes later
Without her knowing
That my lips were just blowing music
Out over her very head
While she knocked back her
Something

I don't mind staying up late
I don't mind dying young
I don't mind finding out I'm nobody
I don't mind empty nights
And unclean apartments
And messy beds
And lousy parties
As long as I get a shot
Of something

Flick back your hair
Toss your stares
Pull back your laugh
Push up your lies
Prep your story
Construct your past
Live out of a box
Or something

The best kisser in the world
Is the best liar in the world
Is the best artist in the world
Is a man who makes music
Is a guy who can smile upside down
Is a creator hell-bent
Is a man with regrets
Is a prince among kings
Is a king amongst gods
Is a snake with two heads
And a dog with two tails
And nowhere to go
And nothing but trouble
And something

Do I have the right to do what I do?
Do I not make music that moves you?
Do I not inspire sheer revelation?
Do I not deserve to live how I wanna live?
Do I get to pour your another glass
Of something?

Show me some tricks
I want to see you
Turn me
Into a different man

I want to see you know me better
Than I know myself

I want to guess how I'm gonna let you down
Will it be by getting home too late?
Drinking too much?
Caring too little?
Caring too much?
No, definitely not too much
Caring's the one thing I don't do much of
All I have is a trumpet
And a feeling at the back of my neck
That there's something I forgot to do
You know...something

And while you try
To be that something
I'll breathe out
Some purple smoke

Press my lips
Plant my feet
Wink at the guy
Playing next to me
Wonder if I'm still as dumb
As I used to be

You'll think you know me
And then you'll hear the music
And I'll become all the people
You want me to be

That's how it works
And that's why it never works

You know what I mean?

It's messed up, right?
And yet...it's something

It's really something

No comments:

Post a Comment