Saturday, June 5, 2010

I Could Have Kissed Her

I could have kissed her
I could have quickly placed a compliment on it
And gotten away
Before she knew it was there

I could have rewound the words
That didn't come out right
And light them on fire
To start again
With a fresh pen
And a better idea
Of how to say my placements

I could have brushed back her hair
And there, beneath the bangs
Found the pangs of a lonely girl
Hoping somebody would venture out
And find her amidst the eyelashes

I could have asked her
One, two, three
So many questions

I could have unbuttoned my top button
Untucked my shirt
Scuffed up my shoes
And sang bad blues karaoke
And she still might have liked me

But I'll never be more than now
Now I'm a man on a train
Explaining to a notebook
How badly I screwed up

And I could get off at the next station
And go back three years
And kiss her

I could go back there and kiss her

But I doubt I'd find her there now

No comments:

Post a Comment