Sunday, June 6, 2010

Makes Me Think of Boston

When I'm forgetting
When I'm kissing your arms
When I've got them wrapped around me
When I've been bad
And you're letting me

All of this nonsense
Makes me think of Providence

Back when we were city people
Back when we were living life

Weren't we something then?
Weren't we respectable individuals?
Weren't we pretty?

We used to go to fancy bars
And eat olives from the tops of fancy drinks
And give the drinks to homeless people

Sometimes I miss it
Sometimes I miss the people we left
Back there in Boston

Now we are
In another person's city
A place where we can't be
City people

Because the buildings aren't familiar
And the people aren't family
And the friends we have now
Don't know who we used to be

They see we won't be together long
And they see the tattoos on your arms
And the lucky charms around my neck
And they get us, keep us
Waiting for us
To go

Go where?

Maybe back
Maybe back to Boston

Don't get up yet baby
Don't turn the light on
I'll pretend we're there
In our old bedroom

With the cars still going by
Back when we didn't reside
In a drive-by dead zone
On a dead end street

And we go to Carl's dive bar
Where at least we are what we are
Where we're strangers
In a stranger city
Not so pretty

I'm glad you're still here
But I didn't know you left
I didn't know I was taking an empty coffin
When I left Boston

And now laying here with you
Forgetting what we used to do
When we'd lay down like this
Kissing your arms
Back when they were warm

It makes me think of Boston
It does, baby, it does

Back when the one-way streets
All used to lead to you

And now I can go wherever I want
And it traps me, this freedom
It keeps me down

So stay laying down with me, okay?

Don't turn the lights on, okay?

Don't say you love me, okay?

Don't say a thing

Just remember who we used to be
Stay here with me
Whoever you are

And make me think
Of Boston

No comments:

Post a Comment