Friday, February 4, 2011

A Long Walk Home

I'd like your arm but I'm not gonna ask
I'm too proud to act like that
I'm not afraid, I'm just unsure
I've never gone this way before

You got a story to distract me from the cold
Did I tell you it's my birthday today?
I'm three years older than my mother was when she died
I guess that means I'll be okay

I would have liked a kid by now
There's an awful lot I would have liked
But what I have is what I earned
So really how can I complain?

I wonder what this city will look like in ten years
And I wonder if I'll be here to see
I know I'm small, but I wish I wasn't always so aware of it
And how unimpactful I can be

The restaurant I love closed down this year
My best friend moved to L.A.
I got a new job across town
And moved into a smaller place

I save money by walking home
But the walk gets longer everyday
Am I the only one still here?
Still in love with this old place

There was a girl in love with a city
And the city changed its face
Now she's trying to hang on
Trying not to let the last eight years be a waste

A few too many drinks
A few too many eyes across the bar
A broken heel, a broken heart
And a walk that's just too damn far

At least too far to do alone
When I'm just talking to myself
I liked your arm but I wasn't going to ask
Instead I just slipped out the back

A long walk home ain't all that bad
It leaves you time inside your head
To decide if you want to do it again tomorrow
Or do something else instead

No comments:

Post a Comment