Thursday, February 24, 2011

The New York Dream

I wake up on a subway
With my head in your lap
You're looking down at me
Like I've done something fantastic
Just by opening my eyes

We get cheesecake to take home
We have a little dog named Toad
We have a kitchen bigger than the rest of our apartment
We have pans hanging down
We seem to be so happy

There's a boy I know you like
And I know that boy's not me
But here we watching black and white tv
On a faded purple couch
Not mentioning a thing

We make plans to see your mom
And to stop off at my dad's
We interlock our fingers
I kiss the spots where we are joined

Did we run away?
Is that what happened?
It's always fun to try and figure out
The logic of a dream

But I've had this one so many times
Now for me, it's like drinking tea
And reading the newspaper
On a Sunday morning

Here's the part where I see our wedding
At a country club somewhere
You whispered something in my ear
And I quietly start to laugh

Here's the sink flooding the flood
As we try stopping it up with pages
From the phonebook

Here's us adopting Toad
Here's a trip to Central Park
Here's eighteen candy stores
Here's a lifetime worth of us
Stuck inside one dream

I don't like waking up from this one
But I know the signs that it's ending
The color goes first
Which isn't so bad
Because then we look like we're in an old
Black and white movie

But then Ted disappears
And then the pans
And the kitchen
And the view from our apartment

The last thing I see
Is your face
Looking down at me

I wake up
Where I always wake up

And when he asks me
What it was this time

I say--

'Oh, you know...'

Already beginning my day in reality

'...It was just my New York Dream'

No comments:

Post a Comment