Wednesday, February 23, 2011

When I Gave You The Truth

When I gave you the truth
You gave it back to me

You didn't want it
You didn't like the look of it
You didn't trust it
You didn't touch it
You didn't tell me it was good

You didn't say--'This is great.  Thank you for this.'

You judged it
You were upset
Because it wasn't what you wanted
But you never appreciated it
For what it was

It was the truth

And you used to say all these other guys
Never gave you the truth

But what did you do
When somebody finally did?

You stepped back
You lunged backwards, actually
You shook your head at it
And you told me 'No'

Did you think it was going to be easier?
Did you think it was going to look prettier?
Did you think it was easier for me to say it?
For me to tell you?
For me to assume that you were telling the truth
When you said it was what you wanted?

What could I have done to make it better
Without changing what it was?

Did I love her?
Do I still love her?
Does it matter?

Why did you think it wouldn't hurt?

Did being lied to seem worse?

You might not want to hear this
But I have a sneaking suspicion
That I should have lied

When you didn't know
When you were, essentially
Being lied to anyway
You seemed so much happier

When I gave you the truth
You didn't want it

So what am I supposed to give you now?

No comments:

Post a Comment