Sunday, February 6, 2011

Two Male Actors Arguing Over Who Gets to Play Medea

"Reginald, I really have to insist--"
"No, Donald, I'm afraid that I must insist--"
"Reg--"
"Don--"
"Reg--"
"Don--"
"She kills her children, Reg."
"Yes, I'm aware."
"She kills them."
"Yes."
"With a cleaver."
"Uh, I don't recall a cleaver."
"Well--"
"Were there cleavers in Ancient Greece?"
"When I envision it, there's a cleaver."
"You see, Don, that's why you can't play her.  Because you always go right to the gore."
"Oh here he is again with his psychology degree in hand."
"For you, it's all about the gore.  For me, it's about the uterus."
"What about her uterus?"
"It burns her, Don.  It scalds her."
"What was wrong with her uterus?  Was it on fire?"
"In a manner of speaking, yes."
"You can't possible play this role.  Have you ever wanted to kill children?"
"Donald, I have wanted to kill children for years.  In some of my better blind rages, I may actually HAVE killed a few children.  Albeit, not with a cleaver."
"And was your uterus on fire when you did it?"
"My emotional uterus was on fire, yes."
"Reg, there was nothing wrong with Medea's uterus.  It wasn't infected with malaria.  She kills the children to get back at Jason, and then later on, she returns to decapitate him with a hand saw."
"I'm sorry, but--a hand saw?"
"In the epilogue."
"There IS no epilogue."
"In my mind, there's an epilogue."
"In your mind, there's a dancing elephant in the corner.  What does that have to do with Medea?"
"It has EVERYTHING to do with playing Medea, you first-year acting student!"
"How dare you speak to me that way, you background stunt double!"

. . . . .

"Do you suppose he could go the traditional route and give this role to a woman?"
"Well...anything's possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment