Friday, January 13, 2017

A Hundred Dolls Named Sarah

One of the things we found
Well, more than one, but like
Collectively
We found
Dolls

Lots and lots of dolls

We go in the house
And, at first, everything seems...fine
And then we start, uh
Going through rooms
And immediately
Immediately
There are dolls
Everywhere

Just...dolls

Uh, and that’s one thing
Like, put a pin in that
Because--
I mean, maybe I’m understating this
Like, how many dolls we’re--

A hundred
Okay
A--we know that now
We know that there were
A hundred dolls
And that, in and of itself--

And these are the scary type dolls, okay?
I mean, I don’t want to undersell that

These are the freaky dolls
With the eyes that always look
Like they’re moving
And, like, maybe they’re possessed?

Who knows?

Who wants to know
I don’t

But there we are
In the house
My aunt’s house
My aunt who I never met
But who was named--

Okay, plot point here--

Her name was Sarah

She was Aunt Sarah
Who I never met
But who sent me a box of raisin cookies
Two days after Christmas
Every year

Two
Days
After
Christmas

I don’t even--

Okay, pin in the whole--

What did we put the pin in?

Right, that there were a hundred dolls--

A HUNDRED DOLLS

Dolls everywhere

And not in the logical place
For there to be dolls either
Not that there are logical places for dolls
Except for, like, doll shops
And dollhouses and--

I mean, there were dolls
In the freezer

There were dolls in the cupboards

There were dolls in the shower
And those dolls
Had little shower caps on
And no clothing
And I fucking screamed
When I saw that shit
Let me tell you

But here’s the thing, okay?

Okay?

Now we’re getting
To the good stuff

Each of the dolls
Each and every single one
Of the dolls
Even the naked ones
Had the name ‘Sarah’
Written ON ITS FUCKING FACE

Sarah--like my aunt’s name

On
Its
Face

ARE
YOU
DEAD?

Are you even living
At this point?

What do you even do with that?

LIke, how do you unpack that?

I mean, you have to unpack it
Because there were literally
Suitcases
With nothing but dolls in them

A hundred dolls named Sarah

I was like--Let’s just burn the house down

I mean, there’s no purifying that shit

If any place on earth is haunted
It’s that house

You cannot put a hundred dolls in a house
And write your name across their face
In what looked to be blood red paint,
And not actual blood, but, like--
Let’s not ask THAT question, shall we?

You can’t do all that
And then not wind up
Summoning some, like
Deep ancestral demons
From the past

It’s just not possible
It’s just not

So--

I don’t know what we’re going to do with the house
Or the dolls
Or the cats we found in the--

Oh my god, the cats

Well, the cats are--

Jesus

That’s a whole other story

Right there

No comments:

Post a Comment