Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Your Love at Noon

You’ll forget about me at nine
When I slip out the door
Into the cold
February air

You’ll wake up
And think I was something
That shouldn’t have happened
And you’ll make yourself breakfast
And start your day

By ten, I’m a few little details
That you can get rid of
By eleven

And by noon…

By noon, I’m working the lunch shift
Turning over sandwiches
Trying to forget about you
Before I’m done with work
So I can find somebody new
To forget about tomorrow morning

But it’s hard

It’s hard to go home that day
And hang up my coat
Feed my dog
Fall down on my couch
And pretend there’s something good
On tv for a change

I keep thinking about noon

About you packing up a car
And heading out
Knowing you don’t
Have a reason
To come back

Could I have given you a reason?

I guess, but not in a few hours
Not in the time we had
I could barely keep you interested
Your mind was...somewhere else

And you said that
You said you weren’t here
That I should keep that in mind
That you were going to give me
A part of you
And the rest of you
Was going to be off in the clouds

And I said Okay
Because I thought
A little bit of falling in love
Would go a long way
And I was right
But I guess…

I guess I took it too far

That’s the danger, isn’t it?
That you reach the point
Where you promised yourself
You would hold back
And you don’t

You go too far

And that’s your love at noon

If you have to think about it
If you have to check the clock
Every five minutes
So you can figure out, you know--

You know, you’re going--

Where is he now?
Where is he now?
How far away from me
Is he now?

If you’re doing that
Then--

Then it’s a different kind of day

And the clock ticks
It goes
It goes and it keeps going
And you tick right along with it

You wonder
How many ticks
You got left

How much time you have
To love somebody
To make, uh, to, uh--

To make yourself--

Memorable

To give somebody something
That makes them say
Screw wherever I was going
I need to be here

I need to stay here
With you

And one day it’ll be noon
And you’ll still be in bed
With that person

Think about that

Think about having
That kind of day

I mean, me, I--

Yeah, you know, I--

I think about it

All the time

No comments:

Post a Comment