Thursday, January 5, 2017

All the Things You Broke Before

You broke the door
On the way out

You broke the handrail
On the stairs
Leading up
To the second floor

Where the bedroom was
Before I moved down into the living room
To give you space
For punching walls
And smashing mirrors

You broke the plates
Your mother gave us
When we got married
And the clock my dad gave us
When we had Joe

You broke the tail lights on the car
When the engine gave out
And the windshield two weeks later
Just because you felt like it

You broke three of the chairs in the dining room
Two in the kitchen
And the one we had in the front hall
That I used to sit in
When I got home
And I was too tired
To walk into the house
And see what you’d broken that day

You broke terra cotta bric-a-brac
That we bought on our honeymoon
The little porcelain dolls you bought me
When Joe got sick
To cheer me up
And the music box you got me
When he didn’t get better

You broke things I didn’t know
Could be broken

Silverware
Knives split in half
Spoons bent
Forks with the tines missing

You emptied whole drawers
Onto the couch
And left them there
For me to find

You used to watch me
Fix the things you broke
Until I stopped trying
To put anything back together

You broke the door
To Joe’s room
So I couldn’t close it
And then you’d sit in there
Waiting for me to find you
Knowing I wouldn’t come looking

That I couldn’t go in there
Not even if you were in there
Screaming for help

If you’re going to climb down to Hell
You can’t expect me
To go get you
When you realize
Where you are

You broke all the windows
All of them
Every last one
And then you ripped the curtains
Off the rods
And left them in a pile
In the middle of the floor
Of every room

Suddenly I couldn’t shut myself off
Or pretend it was day when it was night
Or vice versa

I guess that was a favor
Or maybe it was a punishment
Or maybe it was both
Because these days
Things can be both

Something can be hurtful and healing
Wrong and right
Broken and beautiful
All at the same time

Our son can be gone
And here more than he ever was
Because now I can’t stop seeing him
And when he was alive
He was only really there
When he was right in front of my face
And everything else
Was you and me

I never loved him
The way I loved you
And even though I know it’s crazy
I think that’s why he left us
Because we were supposed to love him
More than we loved each other
And for us
That just wasn’t possible

So now you break things
And I leave you
And I come back
And you say you’ll fix it
You’ll fix it all
Now that I can’t

Now that I can’t make
Anything better

And you never lay a hand on me
But you break me all the same

You break me down
You break me apart
You break me until I’m dust
In the cracks
Of the floorboards

Ash in the fireplace
Shards of glass
That become specks
And then spots
That stab your feet
When you’re not paying attention

And one day I keep hoping
You’ll break me so good
I won’t even exist anymore

But maybe you can’t break me like that

There’s a scary thing that should comfort me
But it doesn’t
And it’s this--

Maybe me and the way I am now?

The moods
And the misery
And the madness

Maybe that’s the one thing

Neither one of us
Can break

No comments:

Post a Comment