Wednesday, January 25, 2017

I Got the Call and I Hung Up

My sister was a nun
Which was funny
Because she didn’t want me
To call her sister
After she became one
Even though that’s what I called her
Before she was one

Can you follow that?

Well, it doesn’t really matter

People used to ask her
When she got the call
And she said--When I was a young child
Which is bullshit
Because she was the devil incarnate as a child
And anybody with two eyes could see it

No, she got the call
After her boyfriend
Killed himself
And that was very sad
Very, very sad

But she had to handle it
In the most dramatic way possible

Becoming nun
Like it’s the goddamn 1950’s
Or--or--or she’s the lead actress
In an Elvis Presley movie

I just thought the whole thing
Was so crazy
And I know it sounds insensitive
But I was so young at the time
And all I could think was--

I’m going to have a nun
For a sister

And it just seemed so silly
The whole thing

And then…

I got the call

I mean--the call

And I hung up

One day I’m just out
Riding my bike
Minding my own business
And I hear a voice
Telling me
To devote myself

To commit myself
To a greater purpose

And I said--

Nope

Not interested

Now look,
I’m fine with being a good person
And doing good things
And living a respectable life

But I do not need to put on
A rosary
And a black and white outfit
To do that

Plus, we already had a nun in the family
At that point

We didn’t need another one

I just kept riding my bike
And whistling to myself
And God was like--

Hello?
Hello?
You there?

And I was like--

I’m sorry, Father
But I screened the call
And I am not interested
At this time

And he called a few more times
The last time I was at an Arby’s
And I got my order all screwed up
Because I couldn’t hear myself
Over the Almighty

After that I just left the ringer off

But I’ve lived a pretty good life
All the same

And I hope when it’s over
I don’t get in trouble
For not picking up
The phone

I mean, it’s a call

Sometimes you pick up
And sometimes

You gotta let it ring

No comments:

Post a Comment