Tuesday, January 10, 2017

The Man Who Teaches My Son Karate

The man who teaches my son karate
Is turning him against me

I was cleaning out the garage
The other day
And my son appeared
As if out of nowhere

I’m afraid that he’s being taught
The ways of the ninja
And I consider pulling him out of class
But his therapist says
The physical activity
Is good for his confidence
And so I do nothing
But part of me
Prepares for what comes next

I order swords online
And then get a letter
Notifying me
That I’m on a government list
Of some kind

As if you could overthrow
The government
With nothing but Samurai swords

I feel like writing back
To the government
And telling them
That I have no interest
In a revolution
I just want to defend myself
Against my son
Before he learns
The Dark Art of Chinese warlords

My son tells me that my misunderstanding of karate
Is offensive
But his newfound cultural sensitivity
Is just further proof
That part of his soul has been taken over
By his teacher
Master Bob

Bob is a forty-seven year old divorcee
Who almost took his life one night
In a condo in a part of town
I only visit if I have to pick something up
At the all-night Target

But then an old Bruce Lee movie
Came on the secondhand television
In his living room
And he stepped off the chair
And into a life
Of turning my son against me
Using nothing but Eastern Philosophy
And nunchucks

Every week, when I drop my son off at practice
Master Bob waves to me from the door of his studio
Located between a nail place
And a travel agent
At the Bay Lake Minimall
Like we’re old friends

Well, maybe in a past life we were
But we certainly are not now
The past life is the past life
And I am living in the present
Where I only have one son
One thing that’s truly mine in this world
And Master Bob wants to take it from me

My son now meditates after dinner
Instead of watching tv with me
Or asking me how my day was
Or quizzing me on how to make a Long Island
So I can finally pass the bar exam
And start working behind at Ruby Tuesday’s on Saturday’s
To make a little extra money

I watch my son sit on his bed
And hum to himself
And I can’t resist

I tell him that meditation
Is just masturbation for the soul
And he says that I’m out of touch
With my true self
Which is hysterical
Because my bullet journal is on point
I know when all my meetings are
And I have my goals written down
On my Achievement Board
So I couldn’t possibly be more in touch
With myself

As if sitting on a beach
Chanting the theme song
From ‘The Lion King’
Helps you know yourself any better
I’m sure it wouldn’t make you any better
At slap-chopping a bad guy
That’s for damn sure

My son tells me my opinion of karate
And his teacher
Is racist
Which is so laughable
I mention that it’s laughable
But then I don’t laugh
Because at that point
It just seems redundant
But--RACIST?

First of all, I am not a racist
I am part Cherokee
And I love Sly and the Family Stone

Second of all, Master Bob isn’t even Asian
He’s whiter than me
So how the hell can I be racist again him?

I guess I could be racist against karate
But I’m not
I just think it’s Korean voodoo
That can kill a person
If that person forgets to put the padlock
On their son’s bedroom door at night
So he can’t get out
And kill anybody

The man who teaches my son karate
Is a hero
And I am simply a person
Who facilitates the hero worship
That I do not get any of

Tell me that’s not
Screwed up

I just wish one of these days
I could pull up to the studio
And have my son look at me
And tell me he doesn’t want to go to karate that day
Because he’d rather spend the day with me

I’m not saying he could never go back
Because then my deposit would go up in smoke
But if he could just pick me
One day
Over Master Bob
It would mean the world to me
It really would

Maybe I could teach him something too, you know?

Maybe I could drive him
To the beach
And we could go out on the sand
And he could hit me
And I could fall
And pretend to be hurt
And he’d feel all proud of himself
For knocking out his old man

I don’t know what he’d learn from that exactly
But I know I’d like it

Just thinking of him standing over me
Looking all triumphant
While I lay there on the sand
Not really hurt at all
Because he hits like a three-year-old girl
But pretending all the same
Just to make him happy?
Just to make him laugh
The way only your dad can make you laugh
And not like Master Bob
Who probably doesn’t make him laugh at all
Because he thinks hurting people should only be serious
Even when they get kicked in the nuts?

Just to spend a day with him
Just a day
When it’s just us
Hanging out?

Yeah, you know, I’d...

...I’d like that a lot

No comments:

Post a Comment