Friday, January 20, 2017

Phil's Friend

Oh hi!

No--no, no, no

Not here for either
Although the bride is lovely
Really lovely
Gorgeous woman
What’s her name--Kendra?  Kenna?
Is it Kenna?

Susan!  Right
I knew it was something like that

The groom seems nice
Although he has that weird tooth
Did anybody else notice that?

Are we not supposed to--

I mean, I’m not trying to be mean here
But it was, like, halfway to the third pew
You know what I mean?

I thought he was going to poke her eye out
With that thing

I mean, I had genuine concern

I’m Tom
Nice to meet you
Are you single?
Do you want to be?

Single, I mean
I’m making a joke
It’s sexual in nature
But you shouldn’t feel threatened
I’m in no way threatening

I’ve been celibate
For six years
And sober for four

Well, sober from alcohol for four
Sober from narcotics for two
And I quit smoking last week

And let me tell you something
I feel like simultaneously
Eating and fucking
Every single person
At this wedding

Not that you should take that the wrong way
I have no intention
Of trying to get in bed with you
Unless that’s something
You want to do consensually
In which case
I have to politely decline
Because my celibacy is important to me
Unlike my sobriety
So if you’ve got anything on you
That you think I might like--

No, I wasn’t--

Well, when you say ‘invited’
What exactly are you talking about?

Because I do know someone here
I know Phil
Do you know Phil?

He’s the bartender
He works for the venue
He doesn’t actually know
The bride or the groom
I mean, I don’t want to mislead you here
And have you thinking that I intimately know
Someone here at the wedding

I mean, I like Phil
He’s a nice guy
But I wouldn’t say we’re, you know
The best of friends
Or anything

Anyway, he told me there was a wedding tonight
Well, he mentioned having to work a wedding
And I was like ‘I’ll stop by and say hi’
And I think he asked me not to
But I was only half-listening
And now here I am

Life’s an adventure, you know?
You gotta really seize it
Seize the--the what?
The horns?

Life’s horns

That’s really what it’s about
The horns of life

And the food is great, right?

I said, You know what?
I’ll go to that wedding
Maybe I’ll meet someone
Maybe I’ll meet the love of my life
And even if I don’t
There’s still the food

Because wedding food
I mean, I don’t know what it is about wedding food
But it always tastes like--

I guess it’s just because
Everyone’s so happy?

And you’re drinking
And your family is there
And you’re all dancing
And something all that
And, like, the love and commitment
And the sanctimony of it all, it just--

I mean, this chicken melts
In your fucking mouth

You know what I’m saying?

By the way, what’s your name?

Hey listen, I know what you’re thinking
You’re thinking
I’m not going to tell this creep my name
We don’t even know each other

And you’re right
You’re totally right
I’m being a creep
And I apologize

I don’t need to know your name
Right now

...Because I’ve got our whole lives to find out what it--

Hey, if you’re going to the bar
Could you get me a drink?

Just tell Phil it’s for me

He’ll act like he doesn’t know me
But that’s just a joke he likes to play

Seriously

He’s a real joker

He’s funnier than me
And I’m the funniest guy I know

Just kidding
Just kidding

Seriously
I’m just one big

Fool

No comments:

Post a Comment