Saturday, January 14, 2017

Put Me In Your Mind

You gotta put me in your mind
When you’re out there
Running around
Trying to figure out
Who’s doing what

You think I don’t know how hard it is?
I know how hard it is
I’ve been running around too

But I got you
I always got you
In my mind

You taking drinks
You taking other things from people
Who are going to show up here one day
Expecting to collect
And who do you think has gotta pay them, huh?

Who do you think
Is going to be coughing up?

Not me, baby
Not me, I got nothing
To cough up

That’s for damn sure

Now, you take the man I buried
He was somebody
Who knew when to keep the door closed
To have me go in the backroom
And let him deal
With the people he owed

I’m not saying he didn’t owe anybody
Because he did
But he either paid them
Or he dealt with them
And either way
I never saw anybody twice

Now he left
And everybody told me
Get with a good man
Well, all right
But here I am
Opening doors
To people
I shouldn’t be seeing

Learning things
I don’t need
To be knowing about

One of your buddies came by here
And I wasn’t even dressed
Did you know that?

Asked if he could come in
So he could wait for you
I said—Do I look stupid?

A man in the house
With a woman
Who’s not even dressed
Where does that go, huh?
Where do you think that goes?

It goes right into you coming home
To find me messing around
Like I don’t know any better
Like I never dated a man
Who gave a damn
Whether or not I was minding myself

But I always am
Because I don’t get put out
And I don’t put nobody out
You can do whatever the hell you want
Just as long as you’re not letting answer doors
And sit around here
Entertaining your friends
When they come by

They’re your friends
I don’t know them
I don’t know anything about them
Or even if they really are your friends

Shit, that boy that day
Could have been coming here
With a gun in his pocket
And if I was some dumb girl
You picked up off Blue Avenue
I might have just let him in here
And offered to get him a drink
Or talk
While I put something on

And all the while
He’d be behind me
Wondering if he should take out just you
Or the both of us
Since having witnesses
Ain’t exactly smart

You’re lucky you’re with me
Because I think of these things
Because I’ve done all this shit before
And when I met you, you were good
And that was nice for me
For a little while
Until good didn’t get my bills paid
And that’s why I had to send you out
Because somebody’s some way has to make sure
The pantry don’t go empty, right?

I know how you feel about me
Because of all that
But you eat too, don’t you?
You go in that pantry late at night
And you see all that food sitting there
And as much as you hate me
You must be thinking to yourself—

Glad I got someone who makes me work
Glad I got someone who’s not just looking
For me to be good

So you just put me in your mind
When you’re out there
And you’ll always come back

You’ll feel like you don’t want to
But you will
Because you’ll know what’s right for you
Not good for you
But right for you
And that’s what makes the difference

If there’s one thing I’m good at
It’s getting somebody back to me
Even when they’d rather
Just keep

Going away

No comments:

Post a Comment