Friday, January 20, 2017

Across the Street

The couple across the street
Is at it again, Bobby

Don’t look
But she’s sitting on the bed crying
And he’s--

Well, I don’t know
Where he went

Probably to get drunk
It’s Friday, right?
So yeah, he’s getting drunk
Maybe with that friend who comes over
Twice a week

Company twice a week
Like they’re Kennedy’s or something
Entertaining at the mansion

Not that she has any choice

I feel bad for her
She’s just sitting there
She doesn’t want to have company
But when she tells him they can’t have people over
He screams at her
And then he goes out
So it’s either she lets the friend come over
Or her boyfriend doesn’t come home
For two--sometimes three days

Don’t you think that’s crazy?
Two or three days
And nothing?
No phone call?

At least, I don’t think he calls
It’s hard to tell
It’s really hard to…

And usually she’s just laid up in bed
Probably thinking that he’s in the hospital somewhere
Or maybe out with some other woman
And that’s probably the truth if you think about it, right?

I mean, he’s probably just
Shacking up with some other woman
While his poor girlfriend is in bed
Crying over him

I’d like to go over there and tell her to get up
Get up and get out of bed
Change the locks
And let him stay
Wherever he is

That’s what I’d like to say to her

Don’t waste your life
On someone like that

I said the same thing to Tisha
Remember?

I told her to leave that guy alone
And she didn’t listen

She called me, you know
Two days ago

I picked up the phone
But she didn’t say anything
I told her that her name popped up
So I knew who it was
But she just…

I said, ‘You can come home, you know’
That’s what I told her

‘Come home
And I won’t say a thing’

Because I know what she’s thinking
She’s thinking, My mother with her big mouth
She’ll have a thousand things to say
And I don’t, I really don’t
And I told her that

And then she hung up on me

The girl across the street is going to bed
I should go to bed too
It’s not late
But it’s late enough

You want me to make you something
Before I pass out?

She’ll call again, you know
I know her
I know my daughter
She’ll call back
And I’ll let you talk to her

See if you can get anything out of her

That phone rang
And I thought
That’s it
She’s coming home
She’s had enough

And a part of me
A part I don’t like
Thought--

Oh, I was right

That’s why she never spoke up
That’s why she’s still not here

Because her mom had to be right
And she’s the same damn way

I gotta go to bed

Let me know

If you hear the phone ring

No comments:

Post a Comment