Sunday, January 29, 2017

The Number

I terminated three pregnancies

Is that what you want?
The number

Three

That’s my number

I’m not ashamed of it
My number

My sister Kathy?
She’s ashamed of it
Tells me not talk about it

I tell her--

Kathy you’ve had double the number of plastic surgeries
Than I’ve--

And she stops me
And says it’s not the same

She’s right
It’s not
Oh well
Fuck ‘em

I mean, really

I’m not going to be embarrassed

I just refuse, uh--

I just refuse
To be ashamed
Of that, okay?

That’s how I feel about it

Everything is a community these days

--I’m switching gears a little
So keep up, all right?

Everything is a community

And women who have had abortions
Become a sort of community

Regardless of whether you go to a--a--a--

Support group or not

God knows I never went to one

But for years
We were like this
Secret community
Of women
Who have done this thing

And within any community
There are hierarchies
And this community
Is certainly
No different

And one of the ways
In which a hierarchy
Is created
Is by this numbers game

This judgment

Of--

‘Oh, I’ve only had one abortion
I’m fine
It’s the woman who’s had three’

Or four
Or ten
Or who cares?

According to the opposition
One abortion
And you’re a murderer, right?

Right?

You think they care
That you’ve only had one?

Oh sure, they judge me
But they’re judging you too, honey

That’s what I would say
They’re judging you too

And I’ve always felt like, uh--

Jesus!

That we all need to be in this
Together

We can’t let little, uh, discriminations
Get in the middle
Of us helping each other
Being there for each other
Right?

So three’s my number

And I wear it like a badge of honor

Because that is three times
I took control of my destiny

That is three times
I asserted my right as a woman
To have control
Over my body

That is three times
That I spoke to power
And said--

‘No, this thing inside me
Is not a life
Just because you want it to be
Because maybe it’ll grow up to be a boy
That you can use
That you can make a part of your system
Your system that’s full of boys
Bossing around women
Using women
Raping and assaulting women’

Three times

And I wasn’t happy about any of them

But just because I regret that I had to take those actions
It doesn’t mean I regret the choice
Do you understand that?

Because it was the right choice
All three times

I never doubted that

For a second

No comments:

Post a Comment