Monday, January 30, 2017

The Cut

The surgeon makes the cut
And I shudder

Just a spot of blood
Not as much as
One would think

A cut
An incision
But no
A cut

Call it what it is

It’s a slice
And then--

Entry

I try not to exhale
To keep it in
To remain
Inside myself
And not float out

Out above the body
Lying on the operating table

Out above the doctor
Who I’m screwing
When he’s not at home
With his wife
And two children

Out on the roof
Of the hospital
Where the interns go
To smoke
And where the married doctor and I
Once made love
Late at night
After a sixteen-hour
Emergency surgery
On a toddler
Who had ruptured
A vital part of himself
That he couldn’t live without

We saved him
And the doctor thought
We were making love
To celebrate

But it wasn’t that

It was the cut

Not the blood
Don’t mistake me
The blood is just a symptom
Of the cut

It’s an afterthought
A kept promise
The cut
The cut makes the promise
And the cut breaks the bread

I once told a man
Sitting in a car with me
About my love of it
And he asked me
If I ever cut myself

I told him I wasn’t worthy of it
And he laughed
So I slapped him
And got out of the car

He screamed at me
From behind the steering wheel
And called me a bitch

I imagined cutting him
Along his thigh
But, like me,
He was unworthy of it

The man lying on the operating table
In front of me
Reminds me of that man in the car
But his face seems softer
Lighter

And the cut goes down his chest
And it’s so long
And precise
I feel as if I might lose myself

Become a stitch
A long line
That travels down
And never intersects
Anything

The doctor asks for something
I hand it to him
I steady my hand
I catch my breath

The blood appears
The surgery continues
The doctor hands me the knife
And I’m not sure
What I’m meant to do with it

The cut has already been administered
But the knife glistens
It wants more

I hold it to my wrist
While the lights
Shining down
On the soft man
Flicker

And I feel it
The invitation
A chance to be worthy

The temperature adjusts itself
Air rushes in
And a decision
Has been made

I’m worthy

I’ve made

The cut

No comments:

Post a Comment