Friday, January 20, 2017

Deny, Deny, Deny

Listen to me
It’s not that complicated, boss
It’s really  not

You don’t mind
When I call you boss
Do you?

Of course you don’t
You got a good sense of humor
I can tell

I can tell all about your sense of humor
Just from the drink you ordered
Little fucking fruity thing
With a pineapple wedge

Hey, I get it
Live in tikki
Do what the tikkis do

You in Cuba a lot
Now that all those fucking sanctions got lifted?

I was here all the time anyway
Even before then

Like I give a fuck about sanctions

So many rules you gotta follow nowadays

That lets up a little
When you get old enough
To just say ‘Fuck it’

When you get to a point where you’re like--

I work hard, you know?

You’re a hard worker, aren’t you?

I mean, maybe you like fruity drinks
But there’s nothing wrong with that

Nobody’s gonna hold that against you

We all got our thing

What other things you got, huh?

Just the one

Just the pineapple wedges?

Havana’s the new Berlin, you know?

All sorts of people coming here
To do all sorts of shit
They shouldn’t be doing

It’s a good fucking time
Let me tell you

Does my smoking bother you?

If it does, just tell me
I don’t like bothering people
I really don’t

I’d rather get along

I’m a get-along kinda guy
That and I’m a bad fighter
Used to get the shit kicked out of me
All the time
Back when I was a kid

One time in gym class
The older kids tried throwing me in the shower
With nothing but my underwear on

I was fucking humiliated

Isn’t it funny
That i can’t remember
What I ate for breakfast
But I remember that
Like it happened
Ten minutes ago?

All sorts of things coming back to me these days

And Havana
Has so much smoke
You don’t have to see anything
You don’t want to see

Happy to do my part
And add to the haze

Do you know what I mean?

Let me teach you a little trick
You like tricks?
I can show you one

I call it Deny, Deny, Deny

You light up a cigarette
And you have a few drinks
And you don’t eat
No matter how hungry you are

Then maybe you smoke a little something else
And maybe you take what’s offered to you
And you don’t ask questions

And then maybe after you’re done with all that
And you’ve sucked all the juice
Out of your pineapple wedge
You go up to Room 4-4-8
At the Terracotta
Two streets over
And if anybody asks
If you’re there to get int trouble
You do what?

Deny, Deny, Deny

That’s right

It’s easy, isn’t it?

Easiest trick in the world

And the more you do it
The better you get at it

Isn’t that great?

I mean isn’t that the greatest trick
You’ve ever heard?

No comments:

Post a Comment