Saturday, January 7, 2017

Divorce on the Beach

I thought it would be hard to want to go through with it
If we did it on a beach
But I guess I was wrong


I guess everything’s easier on a beach
Love, sex--even divorce


Do you want me to sign the papers now
Or wait?

What a failure we are, huh?

And how sad is this?

The two of us here
On the same beach
Where we got married
Where we started this whole mess


Remember how bad
The weather was that day?


We barely made it through the ceremony
Before the rain started
And then when it did
We just kept going


I got soaked
Your mother was furious
And all we did was laugh


That was all we ever did
Just laugh

Laugh at everything
That should have tripped us up


Bills would come in
That we couldn’t pay
And we’d laugh


Trash would pile up around us
Dishes wouldn’t get done
The dog wouldn’t eat for days
And we’d just be laughing
And laughing

Like two jokes
Without a punchline


Life isn’t a beach forever, you know
That’s why…


That’s why one day
You have to say
Well, summer’s over
Gotta get up
And live in the cold weather
For awhile


Gotta figure out
What exactly
I want to be in this world


And that’s the problem with you and me, you know?

I want to be something
And you want to be you

You want to be married to me
And laugh all the time
And that’s, like, two thirds of a life
But it’s never going to be a whole life


It’s never…


It’s never going to be enough
You know?


I started paying the bills
And doing the dishes
And I gave the dog
To people were actually qualified
To have a goddamn dog
And you looked at me
Like I betrayed you

And I couldn’t understand why


But now--


I get it


You thought we’d never get
To the punchline

And the punchline was
That two jokes
Make a tragedy


I mean, the lightning cracked
When we said 'I do'


God may as well have
Thrown a piano
At us?

I mean, the signs were there
They were all there


And nobody thought it was funny
But us


And that about sums it up, doesn’t it?
The whole you-and-me thing

We were the only two people laughing
Until one of us
Stopped


You ready for me to sign that now?


Huh?

It’s okay


No, really
Don’t worry about it
It’s okay


I can wait


I got a room at a hotel
Near the clamshack
And I told my boss
I’d be gone
Until all this
Got taken care of
So…


Here I am


And we’ll sign the papers
When we sign the papers


However long
That takes


I mean, hey--


What’s another day
At the beach?

No comments:

Post a Comment