Friday, January 20, 2017

Directions from Strangers

There’s a sign saying go left
And a sign saying turn around
I pull up on the gravel
And count to ten

Beneath the tires
It feels like air
Being let out
And I count my blessings
That the hotel is in walking distance
If it should come to that

I get out of the car
And see a gas station
A few hundred feet away

Why not, I ask myself
And make my way over

The gas station
Is sun-bleached
And stripped down
To nothing
But spare tires
And chewing gum

I see a woman standing
Next to the cash register
Behind the counter
And I ask her
If she knows a good way
To get to Brighton-Turner

She asks if I just need a way
Or a good way
And I tell her
Any way is fine
Because I got a hotel
Within walking distance
And I can take the night to rest up
And start out in the morning
If I need to

She tells me
I can go six miles east
And I’ll get to Brighton
And twelve miles north
And that’ll take me to Turner
But nobody’s been to Brighton-Turner
Since the eighties
And people shouldn’t start going now
Just because they feel like it

I tell her I have business there
And she says it must be bad business
And I say all business
Is bad business
But she doesn’t laugh
And I guess I really wasn’t joking
So oh well

There doesn’t seem to be a map anywhere
And there’s nobody else to talk to
So I start walking
Towards the hotel
When a car pulls up alongside me
And asks me where I’m headed

‘Brighton-Turner,’ I say
And the driver
A bearded gentleman
With both hands on the wheel
And hair falling in his face
Tells me he can take me there

‘You know where it is,’ I ask him
And he says he goes there all the time

He’s not a good liar
But he doesn’t have a tell either
I’m just really good
At sniffing out bullshit
Even when it’s buried under
All that hair and charm

‘Why don’t you just tell me how to get there,’ I say to him
And he says it’s tricky

I tell him give me a shot
I’m good at puzzles
And figuring out how to get somewhere
It’s just everybody says
There is no more Brighton-Turner

He keeps edging his car along
Before he tells me
That if I keep walking down the road--

‘Or a car,’ he says, ‘You got a car?’

I tell him I do have a car
He goes--’Okay’

And he says drive eleven miles down the road
Make two lefts and two rights
Drive a little bit more
And the signs will do the rest

I thank him and he pulls away

When I get back to my car
The windshield is busted
And there’s a note in the backseat
Telling me I’d be better off
Going back to wherever it is I’m from

Instead I leave the keys on the front seat
And start walking down the road

I’m curious to see how far I’ll get
Before I’m so lost

Nobody can help me

No comments:

Post a Comment