Friday, January 6, 2017

Brian Graduates

Brian’s graduating
From Brown
With a degree
In something useful

As I understand it
And I don’t really understand it
But as I understand it
This will make him something of an anomaly
Compared to all the other students
He’s graduating with

Brian has plans
First plan is to move
That’s no surprise
The first plan
Is always to move

My first plan was to move to London
Because I was so over America
By the time I was done with school
But I went to NYU
So the truth is
Even if I hadn’t been over America
I would have had to move to London anyway
Just to create the appearance
Of upward mobility

Biran doesn’t have to go that far
He’s just going to L.A.
Which just goes to show you
That the 90’s
Are making a comeback

Kids now dream of L.A. again
After all of America
Collectively rejected it

That’s what’s happening
That’s Brian
That’s my son
That’s life after graduation

He’ll come home for a few weeks
On what I’ll refer to in my mind as
Brian’s Goodbye Tour

And then he’ll go to L.A.
And I’ll go with him
Maybe we’ll take a trip
Across the country together
And want to kill each other
By the end of it

That would be helpful
Because right now
The thought of him living
That far from me is…

Well, it’s tough

Brown, I could handle
Brown was a three hour trip by car
But L.A. means planes
It means a whole plane ride away
It means he’ll be coming home less
And it means becoming
A West Coast Person
Which is truly the last thing
I would want my son to be

It’s not that I dislike people
From the West Coast
It’s just that I’m a New Yorker
So I think they’re all crazy or gay
Or both

Brian is not gay
But he has experimented at Brown
And one time he brought home a friend for Christmas
Who I was sure was his secret boyfriend
Until I walked in on the secret boyfriend
And our foreign exchange student Nina

Brian thought the whole thing was hysterical
And the secret boyfriend was only twenty
And Nina was seventeen
And she was European
Where they start screwing at twelve
So what difference did it make, really

Brian needed to show that he was cultured
Brian, after all, was from Brown

No longer mine
No longer his father’s
No longer part of a family
No, he was a Brown student now

That is how he identified himself
And that is how he behaved
And that is who is leaving me now

Brian, the Brown Graduate

And I know I’m supposed to be proud
I’m supposed to be very proud
Very, very proud
But a part of me is wondering
What it is exactly I’m losing
Aside from the proverbial bird
In the symbolic nest

I mean, didn’t I lose him four years ago?
Or a part of him at least?

Where was the boy
Who was scared to talk to girls
Who didn’t care what he ate
Who could say truly insensitive things
And then feel bad about them for days
When somebody pointed out
What a prick he was being

Where was that kid?

This kid is too sensitive
He’s offended by everything
I mean, anything and everything
And when he’s not offended by something
He can’t imagine how you could be
And he won’t apologize to you
If you happen to be hurt
By something he’s said or done

If it’s fine by him, it’s fine
That’s Brian now
That’s who’s graduating
That’s who’s going to L.A.
And maybe I’ll just buy him a fucking plane ticket
And say good riddance

...But of course, I can’t

Because I’m his mother
Because suffering through a year or two
Of truly detesting your grown-up children
Is part of being a mother

You get two puberties with kids
They don’t want to tell you that
Those people who are supposed to tell you things
Because they don’t want to scare you
But your goes through puberty twice

Once when he or she is a teenager
And that’s the one you expect

But the other one happens
After they leave college
And they announce to you
That they have everything figured out
Only to promptly collapse several months later
When they realize
That they are never going to have anything
Figured out

That’s when they really become adults
And that’s when you stop being their parents
And become ‘Those People Who Didn’t Warn Me
About Any of This’

And why didn’t you warn them, huh?

Why didn’t you?

Brian is packing a suitcase
WIth barely anything in it

A pair of shorts
Some sandals
Condoms he thinks
I don’t know about

Everything else he wants to buy
When he gets to L.A.
And I say ‘Fine’
Because everything is fine now
Everything is fine for the moment

I have a son
He’s healthy
He’s gone through school
He’s graduated
From a very, very prestigious
University

And so what on earth
Do I have to complain about?

But while he packs his suitcase
And makes himself sandwiches
And spends an entire summer
Sleeping until 3pm every day
I can’t help but think--

What if all this
Everything leading up
To now--

What if this--
Was the easy part

And the tough stuff

Starts now?

No comments:

Post a Comment