Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Steel Mill Girls

You know, we were steel mill girls
That’s--that’s who we were

We were not girls
Who could have babies

That was what you did
After you had a husband
And we didn’t have husbands
Not until we were around--

Oh people used to call me Old Maid
They’d say Old Maid
And I’d throw ‘em the finger

Or they’d call me a dyke or something
And I didn’t care
Because I knew who I was
And I knew some dykes too
And they were nice girls

I trusted them alone in a room
And I couldn’t say that
For a lot of the guys I knew
So I didn’t care when a guy at the bar
Would call me that
Didn’t bother me at all
Old Maid either

I really didn’t care

You hear worse on the floor
Of the factory
From the guys and the girls
So you get used to it
You don’t go home
And cry about it

But when you get pregnant
And sometimes you do
You do get pregnant
And when that happens
You didn’t have many choices, you know?

Somebody knows a guy
That’s what you would hear

Somebody knows a guy
And you can go see that guy
And he’ll do this and that
And you pay him this and that
And if you can’t pay?
If you have no money?

--And a lot of us didn’t have any money
Not for something like that

Not for anything, really
Except eating and having a roof
Over your head

Giving your parents some money
At the end of the week
Because a lot of us
--Most of us
Still lived at home

So maybe you couldn’t pay the guy
That somebody knows
And so maybe you go see
The guy who got you in trouble

Because maybe he can help you?

You care if I smoke?

Fucking things
Are going to kill me
But they haven’t yet

What was--Right, the guy

The guy who knocked you up
You go see him

And if you’re lucky
He’s nice

Maybe he’s nice
And maybe he can pay for you
To get your situation taken care of

Still though--by the guy somebody knows
Not by a doctor

You’re not going to a doctor

No way
No way

And that’s your, you know
Your best case scenario

That’s if everything goes well
And you get lucky

And a lot of girls
Weren’t lucky

I mean, you get pregnant
And you’re a steel mill girl
You’re not that lucky anyway
But if that happens
And the guy who got you that way
That don’t want anything to do with you
And your family doesn’t have money
Then--

Then what?

Because you still can’t have the baby

You’re not having the baby

So what do you do?

What do you think we did?

We did all kinds of things

Nothing to be proud of
Nothing that you’d, uh--

Be happy to do

Some girls really hurt themselves
Some girls even died
I’m not kidding with you here
I knew girls
Who died

That happened

That really happened

And, uh...I’m glad we don’t have that anymore

I’m really glad
That’s all done with

Because you shouldn’t have to count on being lucky

If you’re in trouble
And you’re out there
Trying to support your family
Trying to do right by yourself
Get yourself somewhere
Maybe put away some money
So you can make something
Of yourself

Well, what are you gonna do?

Honestly, I mean--

What are you gonna do?

No comments:

Post a Comment