Sunday, January 29, 2017

Toast

I’m making your mother toast
Because she’s sick
And toast is all
She can eat

Now, I may be your father
But something you should know about me now is
I am not what many people would consider to be
A quality kind of man

Your grandmother certainly didn’t think so
When I asked for your mother’s
Hand in marriage

She told me to keep walking

Don’t laugh

That’s what she said
Your mother laughed too
Because she thought
Your grandmother was joking
And your grandmother
Was not
Joking

Keep walking

I said, ‘Mrs. Spencer, I’m going to keep walking
But I’m walking away with your daughter’

And oh shit
Your grandfather had to hold
That woman back

She was fit to kill me
God as my witness
She was going
To strike me down

But oh well

I knew who I wanted
And your mother
That was it

She was my golden ticket

She was going
To get me
Into Heaven

But I had to make her toast
When she was sick

That was the deal

See, everybody’s got a deal

When you get older
You’re going to meet a woman
And she’s going to have a deal

You’re going to have a deal too
But her deal is going to come first
Because that’s every deal
Kid, that’s all the deals

And that’s just how it is
If you want to get into Heaven

You find a woman
That don’t ask for more than Heaven
And you say ‘Yup’ and ‘Yes, ma’am’
And you consider yourself lucky
Because you’re going somewhere good

Because, let me put it to you, all right?

The only way you get to Heaven
Is by treating people good in this world

And treating a good woman good
Means God’s gonna smile on you someday
Because women are his favorite

Some people are gonna tell you
That God is a woman
And that might be true
But even if it isn’t
He sure does like ‘em

And he don’t like
When men like me
Men who aren’t made up
Of quality material
Come along and steal them
From him

So he just asks that you treat ‘em right
And if you don’t
You’re in for it, boy

Oh yeah, you’re gonna get it
From Him

Trust me on that

Now go bring your mom some toast
And make sure you let her know
Who made it

Don’t go telling her
It was you
Because she can spot a lie
Like a bird spots a worm
From way up high

Only time she ever closed her eyes in her life
Was when she said she’d marry me
And she’s been blind ever since
And thank goodness for that

Because if she ever saw who she was with
She’d know that she coulda had better

Your Mom, boy
Oh believe me
She could’ve had the best

But at least she gets her toast, right?

At least she’s getting
Something

Out of me

No comments:

Post a Comment