Monday, January 23, 2017

Nineteen, Heading Down

What can I say?

I’m nineteen and running down

Got held up
After sixteen
And couldn’t get
Down or out
After that

3:37am on a Monday morning
And the weekend
Wouldn’t let me go

Valentine’s Day candy
That I bought at the drugstore
The one open all night
Down the street

When we moved in here
I thought we were really special
Because we were down the street
From an all-night drugstore
And a KFC
And a McDonald’s

I felt like we were city livin’
Finally getting ourselves somewhere
And now we gotta go somewhere else

Me back to my folks
You back to Georgia
Trying to say this is going to last
And both of us already know
It’s winding down

Weird to be nineteen
Wrapped in a blanket
Sitting on a couch
At all hours of the night
Wondering when death’s going to come for you
Because you know it’s coming soon

Not because you’re sick
Or hurt
Or you’re going to do
Anything to yourself

Just because you’re tired
And you can’t be this tired
For this long
Without something
Shutting down

Without something
Giving up

Neither one of us
Can keep being tired
ANd neither one of us
Is old enough
To have nothing left in us

We should have our whole lives
We should have stuff to give
Not just garbage
And clever ideas
And plans for things
We can’t follow through on

But actual, real stuff

Stuff we can be proud of, you know?

If you add up every year of my life
All I have a is a handful of things
I can be proud of

You--I can be proud of you

And a few other things
And that’s it

The rest is just nineteen pieces
Of broken glass
That don’t fit together
Even if you had the glue
And the time
To fix whatever it was
Before it was broken

I know you’re going to bed
And you can

You can sleep
You can rest
It doesn’t matter

Nothing’s going to happen tonight
We’re not special people
And right now--

This 3am hour
This is a special hour

It’s an hour when special people die
Not people like us

So I’ll just keep heading down
Until it’s daylight
And maybe then something will happen
Or maybe it won’t

But I know it won’t be long

I don’t have twenty in me
I know that

That’s one thing
I know

For sure

No comments:

Post a Comment