Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Looking Good

Two summers ago--

Two summers ago?

Yeah, two summers ago

I got a job at this advertising firm
And it seemed like a pretty hip, kind of--
You know--edgy sort of firm, I guess

Not, like, stuffy
Or anything

So the first day
I show up wearing

Jeans and a t-shirt

Which is, like, my default option
When it comes to clothing
Like, that’s--what--I--wear

All day
Every day

Jeans and a t-shirt

So I show up wearing that
And, uh, my boss
This guy
Rich
His name was Rich
Fucking Rich
I should have called him
Like, ‘Yeah, that’s fucking Rich’
Not like, he was rich, as in wealthy
He probably was, but he was more like--
Rich--you know?

Like, yeah, you’re Ri--anyway

He’s like--

Uh, what are you wearing?

And right away, I’m like, Fuck
I misread this entire situation
And I am very underdressed

And I can tell from, like,
What everyone else is wearing
That I’ve really made a bad call here

I mean, there was no interview or anything
They hired me sight unseen
Based on my resume
Because my resume is a headboarder breaker
I mean, it is tight

And like I said, they seemed cool
So I really didn’t think that, like
I needed to walk in
Like I was going to the Met Ball
You know?

A Ball?
Is it a Ball or a Gala?
I don’t fucking know
Anyway

ANYWAY

I have to think fast
Because this guy looks pissed
And it’s my first day
And it’s one of those places
Where they’ll totally fire you
On your first day

Like, this is a no-chance zone
You’re not going to get to, like
Go home and change

So I look at this guy
This Rich
Fucking Rich

And I say to him--

And, honest to god,
I have no idea
Where this comes from, but--

I say to him--

‘Rich, this shirt costs eight hundred dollars
And these jeans are two grand
I’m standing here in nearly three thousand dollars worth of clothing
Which, if you count the shoes, actually total way WAY over that
And you’re standing there looking at me
Like I’m dressed inappropriately or something?
Are you kidding me?’

And there’s this hush

Like, the whole office goes quiet
Because clearly
Nobody fucking talks to Fucking Rich
Like I just did

And then Rich says--

‘Oh…Sorry.’

And that’s it

Like, he actually walks away
Clearly feeling pretty fucking stupid
For not recognizing
How expensive
My outfit was

And, uh, the best part?

It was all bullshit

The jeans were twenty bucks at Marshall’s
And I stole the t-shirt from my ex-boyfriend

My shoes were pretty fucking expensive though
Because I’d rather die than leave the house
In cheap shoes, but--

Okay, so there’s a point here, okay

Here’s the point--

I think he walked away
And I think I said what I said
Because I knew
On a subconscious level
That this guy
Has zero respect for fashion
Or creativity
Or expressing yourself
But he does
Respect
Money

And I knew that if I just brought money
Into the conversation
Like, a decent amount of money
He’d back off

And I was right

And that’s the lesson for you

When you’re dealing with someone
Like Fucking Rich
You show him dollar signs

You let him see
Your checks
And then you ask him
What he has to say for himself

And if you’re broke?

You bluff

It’s that simple

Oh, and you know what?

I didn’t look good that day

I looked
Fucking

Great

No comments:

Post a Comment