Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Love in Home Depot

I found love
At the Home Depot
Where they keep
The sinks

I used to do this thing
Where I would go to Home Depot
And look at the sinks
Because I always wanted a nice sink
Like a really nice sink
Because that’s how you know
Someone’s rich, right?
Like, they have a good sink, am I right?

Always a nice sink
In a rich person’s house

So I would go to Home Depot
And, you know, I get it
It’s not the most romantic place in the world
But, you know, then again
It’s one of those places that’s really--

Okay, you’re gonna laugh, but--

It’s really--ugh
It’s evocative
You know?

Like, you walk in,
And you smell that wood
And it’s like--Bam!
Home Depot

So you’re already in this sort of--
Mood

Not, like, you know
The mood for love
Necessarily
But a mood
A mood for something

And I walk to the sinks
And just sort of--look at them

Sometimes I pretend to turn on the water
And one time water actually came out
And I didn’t what the hell that was about
But anyway--

I mean, there was no sign
Or anyth--anyway

Not the point

The point is
I was standing there
Looking at the sinks
In the Home Depot
And this guy walks up to me
And asks me
If I’d like to buy a sink
And I was like--Do you work here?
And he said--No
And I said--...Okay, so you’re just, like, interested?
In whether or not I want to buy...a sink?

And he said--Well, I just notice that you’re here all the time

And, like, now I’m really freaked out
Because I’m, like, oh my god I have a stalker
And also, like, Ugh, what took so long
I’ve been gorgeous forever

But then the guy explains to me
That he’s actually really into fridges
And that he comes to Home Depot everyday
And just--hangs out in the fridge section
Because he really wants to own one of those nice fridges
That has the television set
Like, implanted in it
But he doesn’t have the money
To buy anything like that
Because, honestly, who does?

And I listened to him
And I was like--Fridges?
You love fridges?

Jesus, you’re weird

No, I’m just kidding
I didn’t say that

I mean, I thought it
But I didn’t say it

And then he asked
If I wanted to get coffee
And I was like--Sure

They don’t have coffee at Home Depot
But they really should
Because who knows
How many people are just wandering the aisles
Looking at things they can’t afford
Bumping into each other
And, like, their dreams of owning fine appliances
Just--colliding

We got coffee
And we talked about
How we both want to own a house one day
With all kinds of stuff
Like toasters
And breadmakers
And those machines that make fresh pasta

We talked about having one of those kitchens
Where the pots hang down from the ceiling
And how we both want, like, one morning
To wake up and find out that it’s snowing outside
And that it’s snowing so bad
We can’t go to work
So we call out
And we make coffee
And we sit around in our robes
Just talking
And drinking coffee
And checking our e-mail
And, you know, happy

In our little gorgeous
Rich person kitchen
With the nice sink
And the tv in the fridge

Sometimes, you know, you find love
In the craziest spots

Sometimes you have to go find
What you want
Look around
And see who else
Might want it too

And that’s how you get to love, sometimes

Sometimes it’s just like--Bam

You know?

Bam

No comments:

Post a Comment