Wednesday, January 25, 2017

I Just Don't Trust Myself

I’ve been staying in my apartment
I had some sick time
At work
So I just used that

I don’t really know what to talk about
Like, what you want to know

You can ask me questions
I’m not embarrassed
Or anything
I’m just not sure
What to say

I talked to my mom about it
And she brought up
How she thought--

Has anyone talked to you
About adoption?

About the whole
Adoption thing?

About why they didn’t just
Give their baby up
For adoption?

So maybe I could do that?
Like, talk about that?
Why I didn’t---

My mom brings it up
Even now
Even today
She was bringing it up

And uh--

Well, now I don’t even know
What to say about it

Uh…

I guess, I didn’t go that way
As far as
You know
My decision-making
Because
I don’t, uh, trust myself?

I don’t trust myself
To, uh, carry a baby
Like, for all that time
And then give birth to it
And see it
And…

Give it away

I just couldn’t see myself--
I couldn’t trust myself
To do that
To, uh, bond
With a child
And then let it go

I knew I would change my mind
And I didn’t want to do that
Like, to some poor couple
Promise them something
And then take it back

I used to watch those
Like, movies where
Somebody would do that
--Change their mind
And I’d always think
Oh my god
They’re so awful
But then
When you’re in that situation
And you know
That it’s only a matter of time
Before something is going to be growing inside you
That you could actually form a connection with
You have to ask yourself
If you’re strong enough
To do what all those people do
Who give their--

You know, who do that

You have to ask yourself
If it’s a good idea
To even
Try to, uh
Try to…

Because if you try
Then after awhile
It’s too late
You’re going with it
You’re, you know
You’re pregnant
But you’re also, like
Living that life

I mean, what do you say
To people?

‘I’m pregnant
But I’m giving away my baby?’

How does that--

I mean, have you ever known anyone
Who actually did that?

I can’t--

I wish I was that strong
Because I would love
To help out a couple
Or something

People who wanted
To have a child
But…

I know myself

I know what I’m capable of
And--

I just don’t…

I just don’t trust myself, you know?

I just don’t

And I think--realizing that?

That I can’t, uh
That I’m not strong
Or brave or anything?

Like, that’s the worst--

That’s the worst part

Of all of this

No comments:

Post a Comment