Monday, January 30, 2017

Noma

Noma lived down the hall from me
In Chicago

Above a hot dog joint
All they served was hot dogs
Isn’t that the dumbest thing
You’ve ever heard?

Noma

That was his name
And I don’t believe
It was his real name
But it was certainly
A name

He used to say it was like--

‘No Ma, I don’t know where that twenty dollars went
From your purse’

And people would laugh

Noma made you laugh
He was good at that

He was good at a lot of things

He was good at knocking on my door
Late at night
When even the musicians
Upstairs from me
Were passed out
On their beds and couches

Six of them in a one-bedroom
And they would just sleep
Wherever they dropped
And they would drop

Pow pow pow

My first night in the apartment
I thought somebody was killing people
Up there
And I went running out into the hallway
And there was Noma

First time meeting him
And he told me about the musicians
And invited me into his room
For a drink

And I went in

There wasn’t much in his room
A table and chairs
A little bed
Clothes all over the place
And food-crusted pots
On his stove
I mean, the man was a slob

But he had a grin

And in Chicago
In those days
You could get pretty far
With just a grin

He grinned at me
And I said--

‘What are you grinning at?’

I thought--

Oh no, this man
Isn’t going to be
Grinning at me

I’m not up for that shit

But he kept grinning
Like he didn’t care
What I thought about him
Or why he was grinning at me
And that made me laugh

Never met a man before
Who didn’t care
About what another man
Thought of him

My father was a politician
Mayor of Blue Surrender, Georgia
He needed people’s opinions
So he could spin ‘em into votes

He wasn’t a good politician
He didn’t have a grin
But he was a good man
And he did good things with his life

And when he figured out
That I wasn’t going
To be anything like him
He gave me the boot
And I went running off to Chicago
To live down the hall
From people like Noma
Who were going to grin at me
And offer me coffee
In a dirty cup

And I drank it

I drank the man’s coffee
And I cleaned his apartment
And I helped him shave

You ever see a man
Shave another man’s face?

It’s an intimate act
A loving one
No way to do it
And not get close

Because of the trust
He puts in you

I would shave his beard
And stretch it out
For as long as it could go
Because I loved looking down into his eyes
Knowing that he put so much stock in me
In my goodness
And knowing that my dad didn’t think
I was good at all

He thought I was…

Once Noma’s face was smooth
And the cups were cleaned
And the clothes were all hung up
In the closet
In his bedroom

I’d lay down on the bed
And he’d lay down next to me
And we’d sit there
And not ask each other questions
Or try to figure each other out

We’d lay there
And wait
In that bed
For what felt like
Years

Until it was time
For the musicians
To wake up

And play us
Something
To help us

Fall asleep

No comments:

Post a Comment