Thursday, January 5, 2017

Modern Day Spartans

You pack a lunch for them
And hope they come back alive

That’s it

That’s really the best you can do

And I make my lunches nice
I mean, I go all out
Because if the kid dies out there
Do I want him to die on an empty stomach
Because his mother didn’t feel like
Making the chicken salad he liked
And so she gave him tuna
And he gave it to a friend
And then he got impaled on a spear?

No

No, no, no

Chicken salad every day
And fresh
That’s how I make it

Because you never know
You never know if they’re coming back or not

I used to walk him to the bus stop
And along the way
Men with swords would jump out of the bushes
And try to stab him to death
Because he’s got royal blood in him

And the way I would handle it
Is by shoving him at them
The men
With the swords
Because if he’s going to die by the sword
Better get it over with
Sooner
Rather than later
Right?
Millie, next door, she used to stand in front of her son
When the men would jump out at her
And sure enough
Both she and her son
Ended up dead
Because her son didn’t know how to defend himself
And Millie certainly couldn’t defend either of them
And so they both died
And died a cowardly death, I might add
That’s what she gave to her son
A coward’s end
And, from what my son used to tell me,
Peanut butter and jelly
In his lunchbox

Not much of a life got taken away from him, huh?

I mean, that’s a terrible thing to say
But you have to really look at this
And ask yourself
What’s a tragedy and what isn’t

Tobey was training by age three
Right before Roger went on that business trip
And ended up getting torn apart
By the dogs of the enemy

That’s when I took up Tobey’s training
And it was not easy

Because of course you don’t want to let them
Sleep outside in the freezing cold
Or go days without water
Or make them stand on one leg
For hours on end
Until they beg you to stop
Because they’d much rather die
Than spend the rest of their lives
Preparing to die

And then you explain to them
That there are all kinds of ways to die
And the only true way
Is the way of the hero

And that’s why they have to take the lives of any man
That jumps out at them
From the bushes
And any other young boy or girl
Who threatens them in any way

Or maybe even their parents

Maybe one day I’ll come home
And I’ll see that Tobey came home early from school
Without telling me
And he’s sitting at the kitchen table
Holding a knife
And I’ll know that the time has come
For me to lay my throat bare
For my son to cut
Because having a mother makes him weak
Even a mother who once had him
Put his hand on a lit burner on the stove
Just to teach him how not to cry
When the pain is all you can feel

This not a kind world
So why should I be a kind person
Like Millie was?

Why should I raise a kind child
Like Millie did?

Why should I risk both our lives
Just so we can die
Holding each other
While the enemy
Celebrates another victory
And the school bus has to run late
Because a man with a sword
Covered in the blood of our neighbors
Is standing in the middle of the street
Shouting to the gods
About his offering to them?

I mean, I don’t know about you
But for me?

I don’t want to live like that

I mean, really
You know
It’s--

It’s just--

I mean--

Is that any way to live?

No comments:

Post a Comment