Monday, January 16, 2017

Against the Break

I’ve been pressing up against him
Pressing all myself
All of me
Right up tight against him
Like you told me to

And he’s breaking
Little bit by little bit
I can feel it

Bits peeling off
And flaking
Him telling me to back up
And me just pushing on harder
Like I don’t understand

How’d you know
To do the opposite
Of what he was telling me?

And how come you knew
I wouldn’t get hurt?
That he wouldn’t try to hurt me?

You know so much stuff
Sometimes I just look at you
To see if I can tell
When you’re learning it

You got these big ideas
And this big head
To hold it all in

Oh well you know what I mean!

Don’t get all mad about it
I’ve been good, haven’t I?
Haven’t I been doing
All the things you said
And just the way
You said to do them?

You don’t appreciate
That I have talent

That I got stuff all my own
Not like your stuff
Not like all that stuff
You keep inside that mind of yours
But stuff

Stuff good enough
To get us into some kinda position
Where we can break a man

Last night I got so close to him
He started whimpering
Like a little puppy
Because his faith
His faith was just breaking up

And I’m telling you
A little more of that
And he’ll be good to go

Won’t be nothing left of him
But a Bible
And a bunch of prayers
Nobody’s answering

You know, I made myself so weak
So falling apart kinda--
That I just knew he was looking at me
And thinking he had to give
Putting me back together
A right good shot

He wants to carry me places
And put me down
And fetch me things
And I’m just gonna say--

‘Oh, thank you, baby
Thank you so much’

Like I can’t do for myself
Because why?

Why do for yourself
When you got a broken man
To do it for you?

A broken man
Who needs something to do
Somebody
To put back together
Because he can’t put himself
Back together

And isn’t it funny
That the person he wants to help
Is the one who broke him?

God, people are so strange

Do you ever think about that?
About how strange
People are sometimes?

I think about it all the time

How a person can ask you
To do something for them
And all the while
They’re looking at you
Knowing you’re so hot
If they ever really got to touch you
They’d burn up
Just like the person
They’re turning you on

No use in a weapon
You can’t hold
Am I right?

Gee, you’re so smart
So much smarter than me

What do I know, right?

You’re the one
With all the big
Ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment