Thursday, January 5, 2017

Three Years Clean

Three years clean
And she’s going on about
What I used to do

You know, I had that feeling
I had that feeling
She was going to drag up the past
And make me feel shitty about it

Polly’s got a problem
That’s what I used to say about her
Polly’s gotta something to say

And she’d hate that
Because Polly isn’t her name
And because she said
I was the one
Who had something to say

She said I was the one
With a problem

But I’m still here
Just like I was
All the years ago, right?

Three years
Feels like fifteen fucking minutes
These days

--But I’ll tell you something

It’s enough to kill you
If you’re not careful

It’s enough to put you right in the ground
And not bat an eye
If you have a problem

If you really have a problem

You think I’d still be sitting here
Three years after they carted her off
Kicking and screaming like a lunatic
Saying stuff about Mike
My Mike--talking about him
Like he was some kind of animal
And all the while
It was her
And her problems
And Mike and me?
We were just being nice to her
Trying to help her along

He told me
He thought she’d never make it back here
And it’s a terrible thing to say
Because she’s my niece and I love her
But I agreed with him

When I saw her get carried out that door
I thought--Well, that’s it
I lost my sister
And I lost my mother
And now my niece is gone too
And to tell you the truth

Shit, where’s my purse?
Did you see my purse?
I put it right--
Okay, here it is

To tell you the truth
I made peace with it

I did

Because what the hell else
Are you gonna do?

Cry about it
Every year

Except for Christmas
That shit don’t fly
Not in my house
Not with Mike around
Wanting things to be jolly
All the time

It’s like living with Kris Fucking Kringle

But trust me
If I had a problem
Or if he had a problem
She wouldn’t be coming back here
Three years later
To find us
Living just exactly like we were before
Without any trouble between us

Hell, Mike even offered
To throw her a barbecue at the house
To celebrate the fact that she wasn’t
Six fucking feet under
You know what I mean?

And she says she can’t be around us
Because of what I did
And what he did

--Now what did he do?
That’s what I asked her

What
Did
He
Do

And she wouldn’t tell me

No surprise there, right?
But she wouldn’t say a word

Because there was nothing to say

You know, they might have washed the addiction
Out of that girl
But the sin is still there

Oh, it’s there in spades

You can’t wash that out

Not in three years
Hell, not in a lifetime

Her mother died with it
And so did mine
And somehow
--And I don’t know how, but somehow--
It just skipped over me

It just jumped right over me
And I’m grateful
I really am

Because when you got bad in you like that
It’s gonna be with you

For a long, long time

No comments:

Post a Comment