Thursday, January 5, 2017

Lay With Me and Waste My Time

You got a lot of things to say
And empty notebooks by the bed
Take an ounce of me
And leave the rest for Sunday
I gotta break myself up
For you

Too much, too good
It’s all the same
Left to devices
I can’t share

You put me up
Now let me down
Lay with me
And waste my time

Trace the numbers
Leave the lines
I’m gonna call you
But I won’t

Promises are kept
By people who can afford
To line their pockets
With sideway poems

Lucky people
Not like us
Who lay up
Waiting to see
If someone
Makes them
Pay their bill

Clocks get lost
And so do I
Lay right here
Let time go by

You ever shut a man up
With just one look
I’m all in knots
And I don’t mind

Cut me up
So you can see
That there’s not much more
To me

I bought the soda you like
It’s in the fridge
But don’t get up yet
I’m not ready

A blues song
Comes and goes
And that’s just fine
Lay with me
And waste my time

I’m all tied up
And I don’t mind
Lay with me
And waste my time

You got the covers
On your side
I’m gonna start
Losing my mind

One day they’ll discover me
Laying in this bed
They’ll see a man
Who bet and lost

But they’ll never know
The cost

See if you fit into me
I’ll take the chances
You can’t see
Destroy the evidence
That’s fine

Lay with me
And waste my time

I wish you’d found some other guy
Another night, another bed
But we’ve already made mistakes
So we’ll just lay in them instead

You got your hair under my head
You took your ring off
And put it on me

Made me promise
To love you
As good as he
Used to do

But I can’t afford
The poetry
To put inside
My pockets

So I lied and said--

I do

My last lie
And it’s going
To you

But it’s okay
Because hope
Is just a messed up kinda lie

You’ll find that out someday
But for now
Lay with me

And waste my time

No comments:

Post a Comment