Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Coupons

I got yogurt
It was on sale
I had a coupon

I had three coupons actually
But only one was honored

The other two coupons are sitting in my purse
They've been dishonored
I'm not sure what to do with them

I hate to throw them out

I mean, they're still coupons

They still mean something

They're like little supermarket poems

Discount haikus

But they've been shamed

I had to make a choice which coupon to use
And the other two sit at the bottom of my purse
Knowing they weren't the chosen ones

Does it break my heart?

Wouldn't it break yours?

I bought a spatula today
Because it was buy one get one free

I already had a spatula
Now I have three

I figure...

Now I have options

I may not always want to use
A blue spatula
Some day I may want to use
A green spatula

It's about the options

My husband keeps asking me
Why I buy things
Just because they're on sale

I tell him that I don't worry
I just happened to want
Fourteen turnips and a shank of lamb
This week

Cravings are cravings

At least I avoid those bulk stores
Everything on sale?
All the time?

I'd be overwhelmed
I wouldn't know where to begin
I'd probably keel over in some aisle
With foam coming out of my mouth
Like a rabid animal

The other day I drove to Connecticut
Because an independent supermarket chain there
Was having a sale on bacon bits

When I calculated the gas to coupon ratio
I figured out
That I was saving exactly
Twenty-three cents

I still went

It's a sickness

But the point is I saved money

And when you've saved money
It's a good day

No comments:

Post a Comment