Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Next Apartment

The next apartment is going to have more windows
It's going to look out onto a vast city
And allow me to view it
Without feeling overwhelmed

The next apartment will be in walking distance
Of a pizza parlor and a coffee shop
And NOT a Starbucks
A regular coffee shop
With ridiculous pillows
And a boy behind the cash register
Who has a lip ring
And a name
Like Otempo

The next apartment will have hardwood floors
And get so cold in the winter
That the guy I'm dating
Will hold me every second we're together
If not for the love
Then for the heat

Oh, I forgot to mention
The next apartment
Will come with a guy
A really amazing guy
Who might be Otempo
And might not be
And either way
Is the best boyfriend
I've ever had

The next apartment will have built-in bookshelves
And a breakfast nook
And an island in the kitchen
With one of those racks
You can hang pans over

I've always wanted to eat
Underneath my own cookware

The next apartment will have two more bathrooms
Than I actually need
And less closet space
So that I buy less clothing
That I know I'm never going to wear

It'll have better neighbors
An upstairs neighbor who plays piano
On Sunday afternoons
While I read my newspaper

And a downstairs neighbor
Who bakes fresh bread
And then brings some up to me
Once she's finished

The next apartment will be in the middle of everything
But it'll have thick walls
So that I can block out the outside...

No, never mind

Never mind that

I think I've blocked out the outside world enough
If I wanted to do that
I could just stay here

I could stay in this apartment
And I'm going to
I'm going to stay here
Because I'm not sure
I'm not sure yet
Where my next apartment is

But I know what it looks like

And when I'm ready for it
It'll be there

And I'll pack my stuff
And make this place
My old place

No comments:

Post a Comment