Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Dinner Affair

Well, first we had sex
But you already knew that

I told you, remember
That Kate and I had sex

The thing is...

I said we had sex
And then each of us went home

It was amazing, mind-blowing sex
Followed by nothing

That was what I said

And we didn't get to talk too much about it
Because you'd just gotten home
From having sex with Eduardo
And we had to pick up Chrissy
At the baby-sitter's

But I didn't...

I didn't tell you

April, honey, we ate dinner

I don't know how it started

We were just sitting there
And she mentioned being hungry

And I should have just left
Right there and then

I should have gotten up and left

But...

I was kind of...

Hungry too

I mean you and I
Haven't eaten together
For awhile

You're always grabbing something to eat
On the way to work
And I'm always stuck here at home
Eating by myself

And I'm not--blaming you for that

It's just--

It was really nice to have someone
Want to eat with me again

So...

I told myself
We're just going to do appetizers

So we had some salad
And it was...

I don't know
It had just been so long
And the salad was so good
And before I knew it
We were getting steak

Really juicy steak

The best steak I've ever had
Yes, better than the steak you make me
I'm sorry, but it's true

This steak made me feel alive again
It made me feel like I haven't felt
Since I was in my twenties!

And I was enjoying it
And Kate was enjoying it
And we were--

God forgive me

We were feeding each other
Eating off each other's plates
Wiping gravy off each other's chins

It was so wrong

But it felt sooo amazing

Then finally, because why not, right?
Why not go there
We'd already--

We--

We had dessert

Please, Kate, don't walk out
I want to talk about this

Look, it was just different
It wasn't
It didn't
Necessarily
Mean
That
There
Was something
Emotional
There

I mean, clearly there was--

We had croutons in the salad
You know how I feel about croutons
But I couldn't say 'No'
I just couldn't stop myself

When it was over
I cried

She held me
And I cried
And I instantly regretted
Everything

The meal was fantastic
But I never meant to hurt you

Please, you have to forgive me

Look, we can fix this
We can go to a restaurant right now
Or I can make you dinner

Kate, please
Just let me make you dinner

I don't want to lose you over this

. . . . .

Fine

All right

Well...

Call me when you get back
From having sex with Nate
And maybe...

Maybe we can sit up
And...

I don't know

Have a snack or something

No comments:

Post a Comment