Monday, February 1, 2010

God in Love

I made you a Sunday

Like the last one we had
Where we were walking
In the garment district
Eating roasted peanuts
Laughing at the very first knock knock joke
Ever created

I think that was the day
I made laughter

That Sunday with you

So I made you another Sunday
And it's just like the one
We had that day

Identical in fact

Right down to the roasted peanuts

I thought if I did that
I thought if I made you another Sunday

I thought...

I can make a star system
I can make aluminum--from scratch
I can make an apple orchard

But I can't get you
To where I am

You like me, love me, maybe
As a friend

You think it's sweet
That I invented poetry for you

But you can't write me poems back
Because I'm just your God

I'm just God
That's all

I've watched your birth
Over eight thousand times

Seeing you come into this world
Is like remembering the time
I created symbiosis

I was so proud of myself
That day

But not as proud as I was
The day I told you a joke
That you didn't just laugh at
But repeated

I thought that was the beginning
Of a downhill slide on a sled
Going fast and having fun
And leading to going inside
To get warm

And instead the sled stopped
Midway down the hill
Caught on something
Not able to go any further

And it felt like I was jettisoned from it
Into the air
Never landing
Looking back at you
Wondering why you stopped

You stopped, didn't you?

We were going along
Weren't we?

Weren't we going along
Getting along
So well?

. . . . .

Do you know the day created love
Was the same day I created music?

I saw someone
Hand a woman
Her baby
For the first time

And as she held him
She started to speak
But there weren't words
There just weren't words

So I gave her music instead

That was the first time
There was love

And when I see you
I hear that music
I hear that first song
And I wish...

I wish I could make music
To sound
Like that Sunday

So you could hear it
All over again

No comments:

Post a Comment