Monday, February 1, 2010

How Much Does He Owe You?

So c'mon
Tell me

How much does he owe you?

He owes my brother
For the bail money
And the booze
He bought
Right before he clocked Clarke
At Peterson Pub
In Knodson

He owes my mother money
For getting his car
Out of impound
When he parked it outside
The house of the girl he was seeing
Works at that bakery downtown
The girl, not him

All around that girl's house
Is a no-parking zone

He had both the city and God
Telling him to stay away from that tramp
But he parked there anyway
And got his car towed

He owes his friend Richie money
From when they went gambling
And he told Richie
That real men
Go double or nothing

I guess real men
Go home broke too
Cause that's how he came home
I'm surprised Richie didn't make him
Leave his watch as collateral

But people don't do that to him
They trust him

God only knows why

So how much does he owe you?

Just tell me
And I'll go get my purse

I used to complain
About having to pay people off for him
But now I don't bother

When someone's a friend
Or they're family
And they do stuff like this
You get indignant
And you scream at them
And eventually you cut them off

But when you love somebody
It's just money

It's just the price you pay
To love 'em

So just let me get my purse
And I'll pay

I'll tell you one thing though
The price to love him
Seems to keep getting
Higher and higher

No comments:

Post a Comment