Thursday, January 7, 2010

But It's Not Gonna Break My Heart

It's gonna slam me up against a wall
It's gonna take my breath away
It's gonna have me sag down to the floor
Like I'm defeated
Like I'm done
Like I'm nothing

But I'm not

It might set me back
But it's not gonna break my heart

It's gonna tackle me
Try my patience
Try to teach me something
Something I thought I knew
But maybe I didn't learn my lesson
Maybe I should have listened harder
Looked longer
Noticed the signs

But I didn't

It might take me by surprise
But it's not gonna break my heart

It might bruise my ego
It might force me to let go
Of immaturity and old bad habits
And take a stab at new opportunities
And not leave myself open
To everybody who knocks

It might

It might knock me down
But it's not gonna break my heart

You can put it all up
For the world to see

You can paste your smile on a billboard
And say that's happiness
But it doesn't make the joy real

You can show me
How much better you're doing
Without me

But it doesn't make you healthy
And it doesn't make me crazy
And it doesn't change the past
And it doesn't cement the future
And it doesn't make him the man I am
Or make him understand you
The way I did

You can kid me, kid
But you're not gonna break my heart

I'm a tough guy
With a shield
And a sword
And his words
And his friends
And his mistakes
And his messes
And his lessons

And all taken together
It's not such a bad deal

But you passed
And when you pass this way
You may not get
To pass again

And it's not a bad heart
If nothing else
It's been a good friend

Held up when I needed it to
When I needed it to stick it out
It did

It did

So you can tell the world
Whatever you want
And flaunt your newfound freedom
Wear it around
Like a brand new shirt

And it'll hurt
Yeah, it'll hurt

But it's not gonna break my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment