Friday, January 15, 2010

The Non-Prodigal Son

So let me get this straight

I should be ashamed of myself
For pointing out to you
That someone who has squandered their inheritance
And brought shame upon their family
Perhaps does not deserve a banquet

Really?

That makes me a bad person?

Oh, I know
I'm your good son
And everything you have is mine
But the lost boy has come home
So now we all have to party

And I don't get parties
Because I'm good
So my goodness is the party

Is that what you're saying?

That the fatted calf
Would only be coming out for me
If I knocked up a few Babylonian whores
And got myself in trouble with loan sharks?

-- Author Interjection --

I have a really big problem
With this whole prodigal son deal

For one thing
It seems to me
A Biblical affirmation
That people love a good comeback story

That the people who do what they're supposed to do
Are nice and all
But that they're not really interesting
So why pay any attention to them?

Back to the monologue

-- End of Interjection --

...And that was AFTER we found the sheep

Lord only knows where the goat went

Look, I'm glad he's back too
He's my brother
But there should be consequences for actions
And those consequences should not be
Party streamers and pony rides

Isn't it enough that we welcomed him back?
Isn't it enough that we're protecting him now?
Isn't all that enough
Without having to do all this?

Yes, he was lost
And now he's found

But in celebrating him
You may be losing someone else

No comments:

Post a Comment