Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'm Going to Put You Over There

I'm going to put you over there
And I'm not going to look at you
Or check up on you
Or ask about you
Or worry about you
Or try to keep you afloat
Within my life

You're just going to go over there

You may talk
You may whistle
You may sing
You may question
You may bother
You may not bother
You may not be bothered

Actually, you will not be bothered

Not by me

Maybe by others
Others who wish
To bother you
Bother with you
Put up with you

But not me
Not by me

Because you'll be over there
And though there have been many times
When I have stopped trusting myself
I know I won't go over there

Because it's dark over there
It's a dark little corner
And here I get the light
And the bright sunshine
And the happy faces

There are no happy faces over there

No, you don't have to stay there
You can come back over here
But something tells me you won't
Not now anyway

Something tells me
You're staying right where I put you

And you can blame me for it
You can say you're there because of me
But the fact is
You can come back over here to me
Any old time you want

But you won't
I know you won't

The funny thing about being over there
Is that you think you're stuck there
You feel like there are ropes
Tying you down to that place

When really you can get up
You can get up and go
And come back over here

I wish you would
But I know you're stuck
You're really stuck
Moreso than if those ropes were there

Because you can cut through ropes
But you can't cut through bullshit

And so you're there
And you'll stay there
And I had to put you there
Because when you were here
Here with me...

You were bringing the darkness with you

And I can't have that
I can't have that over here

No comments:

Post a Comment