Tuesday, January 19, 2010

If I Could Leave My Pride, I'd Stay With You

If I could leave my pride
I'd stay with you

I'd put away my indignation
And crawl back into your bed
Pulling the covers up over my hurt
And deserting my frustration
With the things you did

With the things I want to say
You couldn't help but do

I'd be so forgiving of you
And your indiscretions
But I'd have a hard time
Not mentioning them
Every time we fight

I wish I could want you
More than I want to be right

I would I could forget
How hard I've worked
To be perceived to be strong
Believed to be incapable
Of ever choosing wrong

Or saying 'They screwed up
But I love them still'

Will I dispose of the rules
I've ingrained my mind
To find happiness with you
A sinner who wants to make a beginner out of me
Start from scratch and gleefully ignore
The urge to call you a whore
Whenever I think of you with him

It's tempting to let go
Of who I am
And go along with you
For the ride

I'd kill to stay with you
But not when staying with you
Means leaving my pride

No comments:

Post a Comment