Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Deal with God

If you give me another day
I'll give up eating bacon
Because I hear that's a no-no
In general
You just seem
To really dislike bacon

If you give me another day
I'll go on that rollercoaster this summer
And I'll savor the rushing air
And buy the photo they take of you
As your hair kidnaps your face
And you appear to be urinating in your pants
As the car you're in
Goes crashing over rickety wooden tracks

If you give me another day
I'll give up something I love
And face something I fear

If you give me another day
With her

If you give me another day
I'll sit and stare at her for hours
And capture every inch of her
Within my mind

I'll travel to the Vatican
And light a thousand candles
Thanking you
For those measly twenty-four hours

Which would be a bounty
To this betting man

I've slept next to this woman
For three years

I've held her throughout the calm nights
And through the pain
And through whole weekends
That passed
While she slept through drug-induced hazes

And now I know
That time is running out
And all I ask for
Is one more day

I don't care if it's a snowed in Monday
I don't care if it's a sun drenched Thursday
I don't care if it's a Friday night
When everyone else is out dancing
I'll sit and hold her
And bite the seconds
Chew them up in my mouth
Hoping I can stop them from passing
Even though that won't be the deal

The deal is a day
Anything for a day

And if you want to give me a day after that...

I'll take that too

And if you can't give me that
Then I don't know if you're there
And if you're not there
Then I don't see the point
In continuing to be any kind
Of a good person

So basically what I'm saying is--

Twenty four hours
To keep one more good person on this earth

I'm not asking for you to give her a lifetime
I know that wouldn't be fair
But another day

Another day
I think is fair

So tell me

Can we make a deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment