Thursday, March 4, 2010

Misty Plays Hong Kong

You know the last time I played Hong Kong?

It was in the 1980's

Back when a girl could get a drink
A room, and a table for breakfast
Just by winking at a man

I used to perform a cabaret called--

'Misty Plays for Me'

Down at the Ding Dong

That's not it's real name
That's just what we entertainers called it

Now it's a sushi restaurant
And karaoke bar

Go figure

Don't move
I gotta relight my cigarette

Unless you wanna do it for me?

What a gentleman

Yeah, I used to play all the Hong Kong hotspots

Just when I thought I was going home
They'd give me a six-week stint
At Toto's Rodeo

Ever partied with Japanese cowboys?

It's like suicide
Without the party favors

I never missed home
Hong Kong was home
I'm from Chicago
And back there
They didn't appreciate me

Here
I was God with an accent

They called me Misty
Which is not my real name
But it's what I go by now
Twenty-four seven

And when they closed down the cabarets
I just sorta hung around

I could have gone back to Chicago
But my cousin Marie lives there now
And she says all it is now is theater
And I don't do theater

I sing
I sing
I sing
And then I sing some more

I'm not interested in acting
Unless it's on top of a piano
Or underneath linen sheets

So I stuck around
And now I'm stuck

And that's all right
That's just fine by me

Can't always be moving your whole life
Can't always be on a ship to India
You know what I mean?

Damn, cigarette blew out again

Oh well, time for the next show

I entertain people in my hotel room
At the Dao Fao Inn now

I usually get two to three drunks a night
Occasionally the maid listens in a little
While she's turning down the bed

I have a, what do you call it
A pre-recorded track
On a little CD player
This businessman gave me
In lieu of payment
For attending a birthday party with him

Yeah, I dabbed in geisha-ing
A few years back

Hey, CD player still works

I do two shows in the room
Then I head down to the bar
And do a few more
For whoever happens to be down there

It's not what some people might call a life
But it sure as hell resembles one

And you know
It's Hong Kong

That's all it is

No comments:

Post a Comment